Tuesday 28 May 2013

Goonda Biscuit

Goonda Biscuit

Last weekend, early morning, was standing at a tea stall after ordering ginger tea. Three daily wage labourers (ladies) were squatted nearby in a sort of a circle, having two-by-three tea in plastic cups. They looked clean and fresh in their saaris with hair tightly combed, braided and shining with lot of coconut oil, which, after combing, they had applied on their faces too. They looked all set for the hard and long day at the office.

After some giggling and brainstorming they decided on something. One of the ladies came to the stall and asked for a packet of biscuit. The owner gave her a rectangle shaped 'Parle-G' and she walked back. The other two sent her back without even allowing her to sit. She comes back and says 'Anna, we don't want this. give me 'Goonda Biscuit'. 

I smiled, though I wanted to laugh and curiously looked at the stall owner. But he seemed to know 'what(these) women really want'! And… there he goes under the counter and takes out, a cylindrically shaped... 'Goodday Biscuit' packet!!

I could't control it anymore. I laughed out loud and looked for similar reaction from the 'witnesses' around me but they all threw a puzzled expression at me in response. 

All of them seemed to have a harmonious way of communication which I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment